Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What are milia? Causes. Treatment. Prevention.

 Hey, everybody. It's been a few days since I last talked to you guys! I hope you've all been well. It's been raining like crazy here in Georgia state(it's broken previous rainfall records!)so the lighting for any pictures hasn't exactly been ideal. More step by step tutorials to come, though. Maybe a gradient lip even. So, on with today's topic!

 Milia. Ever even heard of 'em? Do you have them? What are they exactly? What can cause them? And, What are the treatment/prevention options? I have recently been doing excessive amounts of research on this as I have suddenly developed several of them out of the blue. Now, before I say 'milia' again let me start off by telling you what they are.

Definition

 Milia are tiny bumps that form beneath the top layer of skin. They are not inflammed or infected, and they are not a form of acne. In fact, acne treatments such as benzoyl peroxide can cause more to form. Milia are different from acne because they, unlike black/whiteheads, do not form inside of a pore. They form in a pocket of skin with no(or an imperceptibly small)opening and are full of keratin(aka dead skin cells). But, to understand what I mean by 'pocket of skin' you have to know how they are caused.

Causes

 These small, cyst-like bumps are usually formed from trauma to the skin as the skin tries to heal itself. Common causes can include(but are not limited to)overexposure to the sun, skin conditions such as dermatitis/eczema/psoriasis, or too harsh of an exfoliator. As a result of the trauma caused to the skin it attempts to heal itself and ends up healing over the keratin which then becomes trapped behind a layer of new skin. This causes a pearl-like nodule of keratin to harden as the walls toughen around it.

Treatment

 So, what can you do to get rid of these unsightly little bumps? The simple answer is go to a dermatologist and have them extracted. It is a quick and painless treatment that costs less than $100 and the results are usually permanent. The use an electrocautery pen to expunge the contents of each individual milium. If you are worried about breaking the bank then using a prescription cream such as tretinoin for 6-12 months usually does the trick. Or you can lance the head of the bump at home with a sterile needle and gently squeeze out the contents with a clean comedone extractor. This is not usually recommended as scarring may occur if you don't make a very superficial incision through which to extract the keratin. For me I have been extracting them at home very gently with the above mentioned tools. Please no caffeine or sugar if you are doing this. A steady hand is required. For some people getting rid of these is as easy as taking a high dose of biotin everyday. For others....not so much. However, I do recommend taking this supplement if you are going to be lancing your skin as it will help the healing process along.

Prevention

 What caused mine to form was the St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It was simply too harsh for my skin and did more harm than good. I have since thrown it out. I try out a lot of new products while trying to manage my seborrheic dermatitis(Which I think I can now. Blog post?)so it took me some time to pinpoint the cause. Try taking biotin and primrose supplements once a day to keep your skin healthy. Always wear sunscreen when you will be exposed to the sun if you are milia prone. But, try to find an oil free sunscreen as heavy products(mineral oil, dimethicone, petrolatum)have been linked as a contributing factor. They make it hard for dead skin to slough off on its own. Make sure to exfoliate gently and regularly. I recommend a chemical exfoliator or baking soda. No longer than 30 second of scrubbing and please no washcloths, guys. Try using alpha hydroxy night creams with glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, and citric acid. These both help to heal and hydrate the skin while gently exfoliating dead skin away. I love glycoderma's complete care cream.

 I hope this info and these tips help you guys out. I know there isn't a lot of help on this topic to be found online and if this blog reaches even one person who is dealing with milia I'd be so glad! This past month has been really hard for me. These bumps really take a toll on your self-esteem and confidence levels. But, now I feel like I can finally manage! Have a lovely day and if you have any questions I would be happy to help!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the help. I found these little criters on my face last summer. I was not using an exfoliater then but am now. I use Aveeno's Clear Complexion Cream cleanser and then apply a topical my doctor gave me (Clindamycin Phosphate 1%). I am still seeing a lot of Milia but maybe not as many. You are right on with the home treatment. Some are easier to extract than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Subscribe to be notified by e-mail every time I post a new article. Milia certainly are some tough customers. Best wishes in getting rid of them!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the advice. I have also only started suffering from milia last year and even when I had them lanced out by a dermatologist, they keep coming back - and sometimes on the very same spot. So now, I have both scar, and a milia.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...